With the spooky season and Halloween just around the corner, everyone enjoys being snuggled up in a warm blanket with a hot cup of cocoa and surrounded by friends and family while watching classic horror movies. But not everybody gets to enjoy the holidays like this. They might be living away from their family in different cities.
If you are unable to be physically present with loved ones this holiday season, video calls are one way to stay in touch. If your friends and family have iPhones, iPads, or MacBooks, Apple recently introduced SharePlay, which allows you to do more than just catch up on their day.
When you are on a FaceTime call, you can use the SharePlay feature to stream movies and share content on your iPhone. This feature, however, is only available to iOS users. As is customary, Apple and Android users cannot watch movies or TV shows together during a FaceTime call. One lingering question in Apple users’ minds is, “Can I stream Netflix on FaceTime in iOS 15?” Continue reading to find out the answer.
Can I stream Netflix on FaceTime in iOS 15?
The FaceTime iOS 15 SharePlay feature allows iPhone users to watch movies and TV shows with other iPhone users via supported streaming apps. If you want to use this feature to watch Netflix on FaceTime, you won’t be able to.
Unfortunately, watching movies or TV shows from Netflix on FaceTime iOS 15 with other iPhone users is not possible. The streaming app must support Apple’s SharePlay feature before it can be used with the FaceTime app. Netflix has yet to add support for this, so you can’t currently watch Netflix on FaceTime iOS 15 with anyone.
How Can I Share Netflix On Facetime?
It is not possible to share Netflix through FaceTime because, as we discussed previously, Netflix has not yet enabled its iOS users to stream its shows through the SharePlay feature. However, there are several other apps that let you stream movies and shows using the SharePlay feature.
Which Other Apps Can I Use With the SharePlay iOS Feature?
Below is a list of other apps that support the SharePlay feature:
- HBO Max
- Pluto TV
Here’s how you can use the SharePlay feature to use the above mentioned apps:
- Open the FaceTime app on your iPhone or iPad running iOS 15 or later.
- Choose ‘Create Link’ from the drop-down menu.
- Now, select Sharelink from the drop-down menu by pressing the I button next to the link.
- Use any of your preferred messaging apps to send the meeting link to your friends and family.
- You can also use the ‘New FaceTime’ option.
- Select the people you want to share the movie with by selecting the New FaceTime option.
- After you’ve chosen your attendees, choose ‘FaceTime’ to start the meeting right away.
- When you’re in the meeting, tap the ‘Screen Share’ option in the top-right corner of the control panel.
- Then, in the resulting pop-up window, select ShareMyScreen.
- Go to your preferred streaming app and begin watching the movie you want to watch. Select the SharePlay option to begin streaming your movie with your family and friends.
- To join the video stream, other people on the call may need to press the “Join SharePlay” button.
Is There A Way to Watch Netflix With Friends Using Other Methods?
Yes!Even if you can’t use the latest SharePlay feature to watch Netflix shows via Facetime, you can still stream Netflix and watch it with friends – both PC and Mac users – at the same time.
You will need to use Teleparty, which was previously known as Netflix Party, to accomplish this. It used to be a Netflix-only feature, but it is now available on other popular streaming services such as Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, and Prime Video.
To begin, you must first download a browser extension. Make sure you and your friends are using Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Opera. Then, to watch Netflix with friends, follow the steps outlined below:
- Go to the official Teleparty website and save the extension for the appropriate browser to your computer.
- Now, find and open the page for the TV show or series you want to watch. It could be from Netflix, HBO Max, or any of the other streaming services that are supported.
- Click the Teleparty extension icon in your browser toolbar to launch it.
- Select “Create a Teleparty.”
- Select “Start the Party.”
- Copy the URL it gives you and share it with the people you want to watch Netflix with.
- When they open the URL, they will now be redirected to Teleparty, where you can all watch Netflix together. It’s even synced, so you can watch all of the exciting moments at once.